What to do if you suspect a gas leak or smell gas
Can you smell gas or do you think there’s a gas leak? The first thing to do is to make sure that you stay safe, so please:
- don’t smoke.
- don’t light matches or cigarette lighters.
- don’t turn light switches or anything electrical on or off.
- put out any naked flames such as candles.
- open all the doors and windows.
- turn off your gas supply at the Gas meter.
Call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999 to report a suspected gas leak. They’ll sort out the problem and tell you what to do to stay safe.