By Law Landlords must undertake gas safety checks (CP12) but there is also a clause in regulations that states that any landlord has a responsibility to maintain any gas appliances and the only way to prove the maintenance of these appliances is by way of a boiler service, not the CP12 check certificate.
What is a gas safety check?
A gas safety check involves a Gas Safe registered engineer inspecting your gas appliances. They will check the appliance is working correctly and will check the following four areas:
- Gas appliances are on the right setting and burning correctly with the correct operating pressure.
- Harmful gases are being removed from the appliance safely to the air outside
- That any ventilation routes are clear and working properly
- All the safety devices are working
- The check will identify any defects which require remedial work. You should have a gas safety check every year. If you are a landlord this is the law